DynamoDB local http://localhost:8000/shell

Viewed 1374

I'm having trouble to open AWS dynamoDB shell (UI). Did anyone tried and worked?

Steps taken:

  1. Download latest - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazondynamodb/latest/developerguide/DynamoDBLocal.DownloadingAndRunning.html
  2. Start local dynamodb - No Errors
  3. run aws dynamodb list-tables --endpoint-url http://localhost:8000 - No Errors (shows the table)

Error: When trying to access -> http://localhost:8000/shell i am getting HTTP 400 Request must contain either a valid (registered) AWS access key ID or X.509 certificate.

Ref for shell (UI) https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/sweet-treats-for-dynamodb-users/

Note: I'm having aws cli setup with named profiles. I even tried http request in browser after exporting AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID,AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY,AWS_DEFAULT_REGION and still get above HTTP 400 error

1 Answers

This appears to be a bug in new versions DynamoDB Local, but I couldn't find any documentation about it being deliberate, so please try reporting it to Amazon...

I just checked version 1.13.5 from 2020-10-13, and the "/shell" works as expected and documented. But on version 1.18.0 from 2022-1-10, it doesn't - and reports the same error you listed:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:06:18 GMT
Content-Type: application/x-amz-json-1.0
x-amzn-RequestId: 4f040110-4464-48dc-99c1-9b843c25db5f
Content-Length: 173
Server: Jetty(9.4.18.v20190429)

{"__type":"com.amazonaws.dynamodb.v20120810#MissingAuthenticationToken","Message":"Request must contain either a valid (registered) AWS access key ID or X.509 certificate."}

The release notes in DynamoDB Local doesn't mention anything about the shell being deliberately disabled.

You are not the first person to notice this problem - see also this question from two weeks ago: Dynamodb local web shell does not load

Related