I am trying to write a simple plugin system for an application and would like to prevent plugins from stomping on each others symbols, however RTLD_DEEPBIND and RTLD_LOCAL don't seem to be enough when it comes to static class members when they happen to have the same name in different plugins.
I wrote a stripped down example to show what I mean. I compiled and ran it like this:
g++ -c dumb-plugin.cpp -std=c++17 -fPIC
gcc -shared dumb-plugin.o -o dumb1.plugin
cp dumb1.plugin dumb2.plugin
g++ main.cpp -ldl -o main
./main
And the content of the output file for the second plugin showed that it reused the the class from the first plugin.
How can I avoid this?
EDIT: I compiled the plugin with clang(not main just the plugin) and it worked despite all of the RTLD_DEEPBIND stuff being in main.cpp which was still compiled with g++. It didn't work when the plugin was compiled with gcc 10.3 or 11.1 even when I tried -Bsymbolic. Is this a bug?
If I run readelf on the DSO compiled/linked with clang i see these 2 lines:
21: 00000000000040b0 4 OBJECT UNIQUE DEFAULT 26 _ZN9DumbClass7co[...]_ZN9DumbClass7co[...]
25: 00000000000040b0 4 OBJECT UNIQUE DEFAULT 26 _ZN9DumbClass7co[...]
and with gcc i get:
20: 00000000000040a8 4 OBJECT WEAK DEFAULT 24 _ZN9DumbClass7co[...]
27: 00000000000040a8 4 OBJECT WEAK DEFAULT 24 _ZN9DumbClass7co[...]
with WEAK instead of UNIQUE under the BIND column.
dumb-plugin.cpp:
#include <dlfcn.h>
#include <cstdio>
#include <string>
int global_counter = 0;
static int static_global_counter = 0;
std::string replace_slashes(const char * str) {
std::string s;
for (const char* c = str; *c != '\0'; c++)
s += (*c == '/')?
'#' : *c;
return s;
}
void foo() {}
class DumbClass {
public:
static inline int counter = 0;
};
extern "C" void plugin_func() {
static int static_local_counter = 0;
Dl_info info;
dladdr((void*)foo, &info);
std::string path = "plugin_func() from: " + replace_slashes(info.dli_fname);
auto fp = std::fopen(path.c_str(), "w");
fprintf(fp, "static local counter: %d\n", static_local_counter++);
fprintf(fp, "DumbClass::counter: %d\n", DumbClass::counter++);
fprintf(fp, "global counter: %d\n", global_counter++);
fprintf(fp, "static global counter: %d\n", static_global_counter++);
std::fclose(fp);
}
main.cpp:
#include <dlfcn.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
int main () {
char path1[512], path2[512];
getcwd(path1, 512);
strcat(path1, "/dumb1.plugin");
getcwd(path2, 512);
strcat(path2, "/dumb2.plugin");
auto h1 = dlopen(path1, RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL | RTLD_DEEPBIND);
auto h2 = dlopen(path2, RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL | RTLD_DEEPBIND);
auto func = (void(*)()) dlsym(h1, "plugin_func");
func();
func = (void(*)()) dlsym(h2, "plugin_func");
func();
}