I want to use the mail() function in PHP. In order to do that, I've installed postfix. I am running on Ubuntu 18.04.
My problem is that I can't send mail as I have a "connection refused" output.
In the terminal, I try :
echo "This is the body of the email" | mail -s "This is the subject line" ailiganon@gmail.com
And I get this output in mail.log
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/pickup[9411]: 207FE16016CD: uid=0 from=<root@AiliganonPC>
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/cleanup[12552]: 207FE16016CD: message-id=<20220111001439.207FE16016CD@example.com>
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/qmgr[9412]: 207FE16016CD: from=<root@AiliganonPC>, size=370, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2a00:1450:4010:c0e::1a]:25: Network is unreachable
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.131.27]:25: Connection refused
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: connect to alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2404:6800:4008:c13::1a]:25: Network is unreachable
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: connect to alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[142.250.157.27]:25: Connection refused
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400e:c06::1b]:25: Network is unreachable
Jan 11 01:14:39 AiliganonPC postfix/smtp[12554]: 207FE16016CD: to=<ailiganon@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=0.28, delays=0.02/0.01/0.24/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400e:c06::1b]:25: Network is unreachable)
Also, the output of the following command:
telnet alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
is
Trying 108.177.98.26...
Trying 2607:f8b0:400e:c06::1b...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable
What I've tried :
Verify that my port 25 was opened and not blocked by firewall :
sudo lsof -i:25
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
master 12899 root 13u IPv4 4027269 0t0 TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
master 12899 root 14u IPv6 4027270 0t0 TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
Disable my firewall
I've also tried with a different mail address (not on gmail) and get same output.
In /etc/postfix/main.cf, I've changed inet_protocols from all to ipv4 and then I've pt it back to "all".
Here's the configuration of my file :
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
myhostname = example.com
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = $myhostname, ailiganonpc, AiliganonPC, localhost.localdomain, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = all