Running docker amd64 images on arm64 architecture (Apple M1) without rebuilding

Viewed 3984

I have recently got a new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. I was trying to run some docker images, but I received some errors:

$ docker pull mariadb:5.5
5.5: Pulling from library/mariadb
no matching manifest for linux/arm64/v8 in the manifest list entries
$ docker run custom-mariadb-build-based-5.5:latest
WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested
runtime: failed to create new OS thread (have 2 already; errno=22)

I have also other (non-mariaDB) images that have the same problem. Running them with the --platform=linux/amd64 does not make any difference (besides removing the warning).

I know that there are already similar questions here. They have answers to rebuild the images on the new architecture. However, this is currently not possible and I also need to have that specific version of mariaDB, which doesn't support arm64 yet.

I guess that I am not the only one running into this problem and I am wondering how others fixed it. I already tried to use some virtualisation with colima or rancher, but this didn't work.

1 Answers

I suggest you provide a VPS service to work with docker. Until these issues are resolved by Apple or docker.

Related