I have a hybrid cjs/esm Node package written in Typescript.
It consists of, let's say, two files - core.ts and extra.ts and I want to keep them separate. extra.ts imports core.ts (literally import { ... } from './core';) and they are separate entry points of the package. Clients import either only core.ts or both.
Rollup makes it easy to have build steps for multiple entry points, for multiple output formats, and all seemed fine.
But now I ran into an issue:
Let's say I have example.mjs or example.cjs where I import or require my-package and my-package/extra entry points.
That doesn't work. Error messages are slightly different but meaning is the same - ./core module can not be found when reading extra.mjs/cjs.
extra.cjsbuilt by Rollup contains the linevar core = require('./core');extra.mjsbuilt by Rollup contains the lineimport { ... } from './core';
By default, Node 12 does not guess file extensions (I'm not questioning this).
I have to call it as node --experimental-modules --es-module-specifier-resolution=node ./example.mjs to make it work. This is unsatisfactory solution. I need example.mjs to be runnable without additional flags.
It appears to me that file extensions can and should be added to import/require statements in compiled cjs/mjs files to make it work according to the spec.
Although, since I have different build steps in Rollup config for both files and external: ['./core'] in the options for extra.ts, for Rollup they are totally unrelated. And Rollup will just bundle them into a single file otherwise, which is not what I need either.
So the question:
Is there a plugin or a configuration option to make Rollup produce files with correct local imports (file extensions added to local imports according to the format)?
What would be the best way to add an extra step to the building process to patch imports if there is no existing solution?
Maybe there a different bundler that might work for the same task?