I am rendering video frames using Metal Core Image shaders. One of the requirements I have is to be able to pick a particular color (and user selected nearby range) from the CIImage, keep that color in the output and turn every other else black and white (color splash). But I am confused about the right approach that would work for videos shot in all kinds of color spaces (including 10 bit HDR):
First job is to extract the color value from the CIImage at any given pixel location. From my understanding, this can be extracted using the following API:
func render(_ image: CIImage, toBitmap data: UnsafeMutableRawPointer, rowBytes: Int, bounds: CGRect, format: CIFormat, colorSpace: CGColorSpace?)
The API says passing NULL to colorSpace will cause the output to be in ciContext outputColorSpace. It's not clear how to correctly use this API to extract the exact color at given pixel locations, given the possibility of both 8 bit and 10 bit input images?
- Having extracted the value, the next issue is how to pass the values to Metal Core Image shader? Shaders use normalized color ranges dependent on the workingcolorSpace of ciContext. Do I need to create a 1D texture with the color that should be passed to shader or there is a better way?