How do I pass data between parent and child windows and preserve data/unique IDs?
If I use the destroy() method for closing a child window, associated values are destroyed too, even when the dictionary that I send values to was initiated with the parent. Clicking on the Get child1config button after destroying the child window gives the error:
_tkinter.TclError: invalid command name ".!child1.!entry"
So, I don't destroy. Is it recommended to withdraw and deiconify many child windows?
How do I refer to the child window (and associated values) from parent window? Am I doing it correctly?
import tkinter as tk
class parent(tk.Tk):
def __init__(self):
tk.Tk.__init__(self)
self.dic={}
self.dic["var"]=['default']
self.title("Parent")
self.button1=tk.Button(self,text="open child1", command = self.open_child1, width=20)
self.button1.grid(row=0,column=0, padx=5, pady=5)
self.button2=tk.Button(self,text="Get child1 config", command = self.get_child1_value, width=20)
self.button2.grid(row=0,column=1, padx=5, pady=5)
self.label1 = tk.Label(self, text="", width=10)
self.label1.grid(row=0,column=2, sticky='ew')
self.child1_from_parent=child1(self)
self.child1_from_parent.withdraw()
def open_child1(self):
self.child1_from_parent.deiconify()
def get_child1_value(self):
self.label1.config(text=(self.dic["var"][0]+' \n'+self.child1_from_parent.child1_entry.get()))
class child1(tk.Toplevel):
def __init__(self,master):
tk.Toplevel.__init__(self, master)
self.frame = tk.Frame(self)
self.title("Child")
self.label1 = tk.Label(self, text="Config 1", width=10)
self.label1.grid(row=0,column=0)
self.child1_entry = tk.Entry(self, width=10)
self.child1_entry.grid(row=0, column=1, padx=5, pady=5)
self.child1_entry.insert ( tk.END, self.master.dic['var'][0])
self.child1_entry.bind('<Return>', self.update_value)
self.button4=tk.Button(self,text="Close", command = self.close_child1, width=20)
self.button4.grid(row=0,column=2, padx=5, pady=5)
self.button5=tk.Button(self,text="destroy", command = self.destroy_child1, width=20)
self.button5.grid(row=0,column=3, padx=5, pady=5)
def update_value(self, event):
self.master.dic["var"][0]=self.master.child1_from_parent.child1_entry.get()
def close_child1(self):
self.withdraw()
def destroy_child1(self):
self.destroy()
def main():
parent().mainloop()
if __name__ == '__main__':
main()
My program will grow, so I am looking for expandability. Classes 'seems' like a good idea. I have a parent tkinter window running with live data, and I will open/navigate to different child windows to perform different functions while the main window is running, accessible, and receiving data from child windows.