Running Power Automate Desktop flows in production

Viewed 893

I can get a Power Automate Desktop flow to work on my local computer by simply downloading PAD, developing the flow on my computer, and running it there. I'm wondering how this works when I want to move it to production.

At work, we have been successfully transferring Power Automate/Apps solutions from our dev environment to our prod environment. But how does this work for Power Automate Desktop? I understand you need to install PAD on the computer that will be running the flows. So would we have to install PAD in some remote, corporate computer (which I can log into via Remote Desktop Connection) and somehow trigger them there? Or do the production PAD flows run on some Microsoft computer?

Thanks

1 Answers

The answer to this is potentially quite long.

I'll give you the basics.

You can run attended or unattended bots on a remote machine. Typically, your attended will run on your desktop but at a minimum, it needs to run on a workstation (Windows) that is UNLOCKED! That's the key!

Obviously, unattended run on machines that are typically locked.

You'll need to install PAD along with the gateway to get it to work. The gateway serves the purpose of linking the machine to the cloud. The machine is registered to the cloud so they can talk and the cloud can spawn flows on the gateway enabled desktop.

In order to call/schedule a PAD flow on a remote workstation, you need to use the PowerAutomate action item.

PAD

From here, you connect your action item to the relevant gateway enabled machine and then off it goes once called.

More information can be found here ...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/run-pad-flow

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/link-pad-flow-portal

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/manage-machines

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/manage-machine-groups

Related