I am writing some macros that call Python code to perform operations on ranges in Excel. It is much easier to do a lot of the required operations with pandas in Python. Because I want to do this while the spreadsheet is open (and may not have been saved), I am using the win32com.client to read in a range of cells to convert to a Pandas dataframe. However, this is extremely slow, presumably because the way I calculate it is very inefficient:
import datetime
import pytz
import pandas
import time
import win32com.client
def range_to_table(excelRange, tsy, tsx, height, width, add_cell_refs = True):
ii = 0
keys = []
while ii < width:
keys.append(str(excelRange[ii]))
ii += 1
colnumbers = {key:jj+tsx for jj, key in enumerate(keys)}
keys.append('rownumber')
mydict = {key:[] for key in keys}
while ii < width*height:
mydict[keys[ii%width]].append(excelRange[ii].value)
ii += 1
for yy in range(tsy + 1, tsy + 1 + height - 1): # add 1 to not include header
mydict['rownumber'].append(yy)
return (mydict, colnumbers)
ExcelApp = win32com.client.GetActiveObject('Excel.Application')
wb = ExcelApp.Workbooks('myworkbook.xlsm')
sheet_num = [sheet.Name for sheet in wb.Sheets].index("myworksheet name") + 1
ws = wb.Worksheets(sheet_num)
height = int(ws.Cells(1, 3)) # obtain table height from formula in excel spreadsheet
width = int(ws.Cells(1, 2)) # obtain table width from formula in excel spreadsheet
myrange = ws.Range(ws.Cells(2, 1), ws.Cells(2 + height - 1, 1 + width - 1))
df, colnumbers = range_to_table(myrange, 1, 1, height, width)
df = pandas.DataFrame.from_dict(df)
This works, but the range_to_table function I wrote is extremely slow for large tables since it iterates over each cell one by one.
I suspect there is probably a much better way to convert the Excel Range object to a Pandas dataframe. Do you know of a better way?
Here a simplified example of what my range would look like:
The height and width variables in the code are just taken from cells immediately above the table:
Any ideas here, or am I just going to have to save the workbook and use Pandas to read in the table from the saved file?



