Visual Studio 2022 keeps crashing and locking the system

Viewed 4814

I got a new laptop for Christmas, upto date with Windows 10.

Installed Visual Studio 2022 and so far it's been crashing every day several times a day. It could be either on the coding screen, the design view, or simply in a menu.

It just freezes the whole screen and the mouse stops and no keyboard responses work. I have to turn off the laptop via the power button.

It's happened about 15-20 times in the last few days. Any ideas?

It's Windows 10 Home, and 4GB RAM. No other programs crash it's only Visual Studio.

Thanks in advance Mark.

4 Answers

I went back to VS 2019. No issues now.

It may be the antivirus. Following Eliot Jones' solution to exclude VsDebugConsole.exe worked for me:

Open the Windows Security app, then go to Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings Manage Settings > Exclusions Add or remove exclusions > Add an exclusion

i just using repair system visual studio installer, maybe too much extension installed impacted to you system performance, i do had 16gb , but after repair the vs22 never crash or freeze again

For some time now, my entire computer freezes when opening solution. In my case it seems to be caused by a corrupted .vs directory. Deleting this folder fixed the problem. Problems like these never happened in VS2019, I only started noticing them since I switched to VS2022.

Related