I'm trying to use Python to create a live music visualization. The libraries I'm using are SoundCard (for live audio capture) and Librosa (for short-time Fourier transform).
However I suspect I'm not interpreting the audio data correctly. Looking at the 100Hz-200Hz bin, I get a constant stream of sound even when the song doesn't contain that much bass (or really, any whatsoever). I admit I am a bit in over my head with all the audio processing FFT stuff, since it's not really my expertise and the math beats me most of the time.
This is the function that captures and analyses the audio. lb is set to the speakers and works properly. Fs is set to 48000 and I record 1000 frames in the attempt of keeping 48FPS. fftwindowsize is set to 2048*8 because... I'm not sure. I increased the number until Librosa stopped throwing warnings.
def audioanalysis():
with lb.recorder(samplerate=Fs) as mic:
rawdata = mic.record(numframes=1000)
datalen: int = int(rawdata.size/2)
monodata = numpy.empty(datalen)
for x in range(0, datalen):
monodata[x] = max(rawdata[x][0], rawdata[x][1])
data = numpy.abs(librosa.stft(monodata, n_fft=fftwindowsize, hop_length=1024))
return librosa.amplitude_to_db(data, ref=numpy.max)
And the code for making buckets:
frequencies = librosa.core.fft_frequencies(n_fft=fftwindowsize)
freq_index_ratio = len(frequencies)/frequencies[len(frequencies)-1] / 2
[...]
for i in range(0,buckets):
avg = 0
for j in range (i * bucketsize, (i+1)*bucketsize):
avg += amp(spectrogram=spectrogram, freq=j)
amps[i] = avg/bucketsize
def amp(spectrogram, freq) -> float:
return spectrogram[int(freq*freq_index_ratio)]
Over the course of a song, amps[1] (so 100Hz-200Hz) stays in the -50dB to -30dB range, which isn't really useful or representative of the song playing.
Is my FFT analysis wrong? Is there no way to better interpret short samples of sound?
P.S. I know my Python code isn't excellent. This is my first project in Python :)