GCC on Windows
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
struct test {
int n1;
int n2;
};
int main() {
FILE *f;
f = fopen("test.dat", "w");
struct test test1 = {10, 10};
fwrite(&test1, sizeof(struct test), 1, f);
fclose(f);
struct test test2;
f = fopen("test.dat", "r");
while(fread(&test2, sizeof(struct test), 1, f))
printf("n1=%d n2=%d\n", test2.n1, test2.n2);
fclose(f);
return 0;
}
If I set test1 to 10,10 then fwrite will write 10 bytes to file: 0D 0A 00 00 00 0D 0A 00 00 00
(each 4-byte int will be padded with a 0D carriage return character before it)
If I set test1 to 11,11 then fwrite will write 8 bytes to file: 0B 00 00 00 0B 00 00 00
(as I would expect)
If I set test1 to 9,9 then fwrite will write 8 bytes to file: 09 00 00 00 09 00 00 00
(as I would expect)
If I set test1 to 9,10 then fwrite will write 9 bytes to file: 09 00 00 00 0D 0A 00 00 00
The 9 gets 4 bytes as expected, but the 10 gets padded with an extra 0D byte, resulting in 5 bytes. What is so special about the number 10 that requires this padding? And why do both smaller and larger numbers (8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc) not get padded? I thought maybe GCC is confusing the number 10 for a new-line character (a new-line is 10 is acsii), but this does not explain how fread is able to get the number 10 back out correctly.
And how do I write a struct to file without getting this extra padding on the number 10?