I have this program Main.hs:
main :: IO ()
main = do
if False then undefined
else do
let x = 5
print x
When I compile it with ghc Main.hs it compils well generating a Main executable, but when (after initializing cabal with cabal init) I try to make a cabal new-run it gives an error:
$ cabal new-run
Build profile: -w ghc-8.6.5 -O1
In order, the following will be built (use -v for more details):
- ghc-vs-cabal-0.1.0.0 (exe:ghc-vs-cabal) (file Main.hs changed)
Preprocessing executable 'ghc-vs-cabal' for ghc-vs-cabal-0.1.0.0..
Building executable 'ghc-vs-cabal' for ghc-vs-cabal-0.1.0.0..
[1 of 1] Compiling Main ( Main.hs, /home/ivan/ghc_vs_cabal/dist-newstyle/build/x86_64-linux/ghc-8.6.5/ghc-vs-cabal-0.1.0.0/x/ghc-vs-cabal/build/ghc-vs-cabal/ghc-vs-cabal-tmp/Main.o )
Main.hs:4:10: error: Empty 'do' block
|
4 | else do
| ^^
With cabal run it also gives error.
I have cabal version 2.4.0.0:
$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 2.4.0.0
compiled using version 2.4.0.1 of the Cabal library
And ghc version 8.6.5:
$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.6.5
Does somebody know what is happening?
I know that I can fix it if I add indentation:
main :: IO ()
main = do
if False then undefined
else do
let x = 5
print x
But I want to know why it compiles with ghc but not with cabal new-run