I was parsing some string input from a file when I came across this error. Normally it should not make a difference if you chain a series of methods on a single line or separate them into multiple operations. Yet here, it does not compile when the method chain is in a single line.
I do not get an error when split to multiple statements like so (link to playground)
let input = std::fs::read_to_string("tst_input.txt").expect("Failed to read input");
let input = input
.lines()
.map(|l| {
let mut iter = l.split(" | ");
(
iter.next()
.unwrap()
.split_whitespace()
.collect::<Vec<&str>>(),
iter.next()
.unwrap()
.split_whitespace()
.collect::<Vec<&str>>(),
)
})
.collect::<Vec<_>>();
I get a lifetime error when it is in a single statement like so (link to playground)
let input = std::fs::read_to_string("tst_input.txt")
.expect("Failed to read input")
.lines()
.map(|l| {
let mut iter = l.split(" | ");
(
iter.next()
.unwrap()
.split_whitespace()
.collect::<Vec<&str>>(),
iter.next()
.unwrap()
.split_whitespace()
.collect::<Vec<&str>>(),
)
})
.collect::<Vec<_>>()
error[E0716]: temporary value dropped while borrowed
--> src/main.rs:2:17
|
2 | let input = std::fs::read_to_string("tst_input.txt")
| _________________^
3 | | .expect("Failed to read input")
| |_______________________________________^ creates a temporary which is freed while still in use
...
18 | .collect::<Vec<_>>();
| - temporary value is freed at the end of this statement
19 | println!("{:?}", input);
| ----- borrow later used here
|
= note: consider using a `let` binding to create a longer lived value
Should these 2 cases be effectively identical? why is the compiler treating them differently? Could this possibly be a compiler error?