I'm new to Numba and I'm trying to implement an old Fortran code in Python using Numba (version 0.54.1), but when I add parallel = True the program actually slows down. My program is very simple: I change the positions x and y in a L x L grid and for each position in the grid I perform a summation
import numpy as np
import numba as nb
@nb.njit(parallel=True)
def lyapunov_grid(x_grid, y_grid, k, N):
L = len(x_grid)
lypnv = np.zeros((L, L))
for ii in nb.prange(L):
for jj in range(L):
x = x_grid[ii]
y = y_grid[jj]
beta0 = 0
sumT11 = 0
for j in range(N):
y = (y - k*np.sin(x)) % (2*np.pi)
x = (x + y) % (2*np.pi)
J = np.array([[1.0, -k*np.cos(x)], [1.0, 1.0 - k*np.cos(x)]])
beta = np.arctan((-J[1,0]*np.cos(beta0) + J[1,1]*np.sin(beta0))/(J[0,0]*np.cos(beta0) - J[0,1]*np.sin(beta0)))
T11 = np.cos(beta0)*(J[0,0]*np.cos(beta) - J[1,0]*np.sin(beta)) - np.sin(beta0)*(J[0,1]*np.cos(beta) - J[1,1]*np.sin(beta))
sumT11 += np.log(abs(T11))/np.log(2)
beta0 = beta
lypnv[ii, jj] = sumT11/N
return lypnv
# Compile
_ = lyapunov_grid(np.linspace(0, 1, 10), np.linspace(0, 1, 10), 1, 10)
# Parameters
N = int(1e3)
L = 128
pi = np.pi
k = 1.5
# Limits of the phase space
x0 = -pi
xf = pi
y0 = -pi
yf = pi
# Grid positions
x = np.linspace(x0, xf, L, endpoint=True)
y = np.linspace(y0, yf, L, endpoint=True)
lypnv = lyapunov_grid(x, y, k, N)
With parallel=False it takes about 8s to run, however with parallel=True it takes about 14s. I also tested with another code from https://github.com/animator/mandelbrot-numba and in this case the parallelization works.
import math
import numpy as np
import numba as nb
WIDTH = 1000
MAX_ITER = 1000
@nb.njit(parallel=True)
def mandelbrot(width, max_iter):
pixels = np.zeros((width, width, 3), dtype=np.uint8)
for y in nb.prange(width):
for x in range(width):
c0 = complex(3.0*x/width - 2, 3.0*y/width - 1.5)
c = 0
for i in range(1, max_iter):
if abs(c) > 2:
log_iter = math.log(i)
pixels[y, x, :] = np.array([int(255*(1+math.cos(3.32*log_iter))/2),
int(255*(1+math.cos(0.774*log_iter))/2),
int(255*(1+math.cos(0.412*log_iter))/2)],
dtype=np.uint8)
break
c = c * c + c0
return pixels
# compile
_ = mandelbrot(WIDTH, 10)
calcpixels = mandelbrot(WIDTH, MAX_ITER)