Hedera Minting DAPP, How to connect wallet

Viewed 245

Im coming from the 'other' blockchains and not sure how we would authenticate a Hedera user on a DAPP. Essentially I need to create a minting DAPP. I need the user to connect his wallet, pay using HBAR and get his token. Do I need to use a wallet provider like hashpack or something?

1 Answers

Today there are limited, mostly custodial design options available. This is subject to change with HIP-179 External Transaction Signing for SDK and other clients.

Prior to HIP-179, most applications are either:

  1. Using a single managed custodial account on their web server.
  2. Tying a traditional login(email, password) or session to an application-specific generated Hedera account.
  3. Asking users for keys as a login.
  4. Involving some counterparty risk wherein a transaction is sent from a 3rd party wallet (e.g. sending hbar) and a promise to send a token, etc. back.

There are obvious security and scam concerns with most of these models. Once HIP-179 is in place it will be easier for extensions like HashPack and others to sign transactions.

Related