I just started learning rust and I'm creatively trying somethings as I read "the Rust Book".
I know it is possible to create a generic method to get the largest element from an array, like the following:
fn largest<T: PartialOrd + Copy> (nums: &[T]) -> T {
let mut largest = nums[0];
for &el in nums {
if el > largest {
largest = el;
}
}
return largest;
}
And calling the main function like this:
fn main() {
let list: Vec<u32> = vec![1,7,4];
println!("{}", largest(&list)); // 7
}
How would I go doing the same thing but "extending" the array, like this:
fn main() {
let list: Vec<u32> = vec![1,7,4];
println!("{}", list.largest()); // 7
}
I guess the final question is: if it is possible, would it be a bad practice? Why?
I tried something like this, but didn't manage to figure out how to implement the "Largeble" trait returning the T:
pub trait Largeble {
fn largest(&self);
}
impl<T: Copy + PartialOrd + Display> Largeble for Vec<T> {
fn largest(&self) {
let mut largest = match self.get(0) {
Some(&el) => el,
None => panic!("Non Empty array expected")
};
for &el in self {
if el > largest {
largest = el;
}
}
println!("{}", largest);
// return largest;
}
}