I'm using css modules in a create-react-app project (React V17.0.2 / React-Scripts V4.0.3). All seems well in local but the styles break in production (hosted on netlify).
I believe the problem is that the css modules are not recognizing variables I've defined globally in plain css files. Here's an example of the set up I came up with:
index.css file imported at the top level index.js in my react project:
@import '../Global/ColorScheme.css';
body {
// body styles
}
a {
// global a tag styles
}
ColorScheme.css:
:root {
--green: #00b890;
--pink: #ef767a;
--brown: #554348;
--orange: #fb8f67;
}
Then some CSS module consuming global styles from ColorScheme.css..
SomeFile.module.css
.greenBox {
background-color: var(--green);
height: 500px;
width: 500px;
border: 1px solid #333;
}
Example Component
import React from 'react';
import styles from '../somePath/SomeFile.module.css';
export default function MyComponent() {
return <div className={styles.greenBox} />;
}
When I run it locally I will get a green box with height & width at 500px with a 1px solid black border around it. So all is working as expected. However the production build will show a 500px by 500px box with 1px solid black border but no background color. I'm guessing it's the disconnect is when a css module is using a variable defined in a plain css file. Maybe something with the way webpack compiles down a create-react-app for production build?
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening and any way I can get around it? I've seen instances of global variables in css modules but I'm trying to avoid importing the global styles in every single module.