I have built a number of sklearn classifier models to perform multi-label classification and I would like to calibrate their predict_proba outputs so that I can obtain confidence scores. I would also like to use metrics such as sklearn.metrics.recall_score to evaluate them.
I have 4 labels to predict and the true labels are multi-hot encoded (e.g. [0, 1, 1, 1]). As a result, CalibratedClassifierCV does not directly accept my data:
clf = tree.DecisionTreeClassifier(max_depth=15)
clf = clf.fit(train_X, train_Y)
calibrated_clf = CalibratedClassifierCV(clf, cv="prefit", method="sigmoid")
calibrated_clf.fit(dev_X, dev_Y)
This would return an error:
ValueError: classes [[0 1]
[0 1]
[0 1]
[0 1]] mismatch with the labels [0 1 2 3] found in the data
Thus, I tried to wrap it in a OneVsRestClassifier:
clf = OneVsRestClassifier(tree.DecisionTreeClassifier(max_depth=15), n_jobs=4)
clf = clf.fit(train_X, train_Y)
calibrated_clf = CalibratedClassifierCV(clf, cv="prefit", method="sigmoid")
calibrated_clf.fit(dev_X, dev_Y)
Note that MultiOutputClassifier and ClassifierChain do not work even though they possibly suit my problem better.
It works, but the predict output of the calibrated classifier is multi-class instead of multi-label because of its implementation. There are four classes ([0 1 2 3]) but if there is no need to put a label, it still predicts a 0.
Upon further inspection by means of calibration curves, it turns out the base estimator wrapped inside the calibrated classifier is not calibrated at all. That is, (calibrated_clf.calibrated_classifiers_)[0].base_estimator returns the same clf as before calibration.
I would like to observe the performance of my (calibrated) models doing deterministic (predict) and probabilistic (predict_proba) predictions. How should I design my model/wrap things in other containers to get both calibrated probabilities for each label and comprehensible label predictions?