Configure imports relative to root directory in create-react-library library

Viewed 331

I am trying to setup a react component library with create-react-library (which uses rollup under the hood) and port over our application's existing component library so that we can share it between applications. I am able to create the library, publish to a private git registry, and consume it in other applications. The issue is that I have had to change all of my imports to relative imports which is rather annoying as I am planning on porting over a large amount of components, hocs and utils.

The entry point of the package is the src dir. Say I have a component in src/components/Text.js and a hoc in src/hoc/auth.js. If I want to import withAuthentication from src/hoc/auth.js into my Text component, I have to import it like import { withAuthentication } from "../hoc/auth" but I'd like to be able to import with the same paths I have in my existing application so it's easy to port over components, like import { withAuthentication } from "hoc/auth"

I have tried a lot of config options, jsconfig.json the same as my create-react-app application, manually building my library with rollup rather then using create-react-library so I'd have more config options but to no avail.

Below are the relevant bits from my package.json as well as my jsconfig.json, any help would be greatly appreciated, I am sure I am not the only person who's had this issue.

Here's the package.json

{
  "main": "dist/index.js",
  "module": "dist/index.modern.js",
  "source": "src/index.js",
  "files": [
    "dist"
  ],
  "engines": {
    "node": ">=10"
  },
  "scripts": {
    "build": "microbundle-crl --no-compress --format modern,cjs",
    "start": "microbundle-crl watch --no-compress --format modern,cjs",
    "prepare": "run-s build",
    "test": "run-s test:unit test:lint test:build",
    "test:build": "run-s build",
    "test:lint": "eslint .",
    "test:unit": "cross-env CI=1 react-scripts test --env=jsdom",
    "test:watch": "react-scripts test --env=jsdom",
    "predeploy": "cd example && npm install && npm run build",
    "deploy": "gh-pages -d example/build"
  },
  "peerDependencies": {
    "react": "^16.0.0",
    "react-html-parser": "^2.0.2",
    "lodash": "^4.17.19",
    "@material-ui/core": "^4.11.0",
    "react-redux": "^7.1.1",
    "redux": "^4.0.1",
    "redux-localstorage": "^0.4.1",
    "redux-logger": "^3.0.6",
    "redux-thunk": "^2.3.0",
    "react-router-dom": "^5.1.1",
    "react-dom": "^16.13.1",
    "react-scripts": "^3.4.1",
    "react-svg": "^12.0.0",
    "reselect": "^4.0.0"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "microbundle-crl": "^0.13.10",
    "babel-eslint": "^10.0.3",
    "cross-env": "^7.0.2",
    "eslint": "^6.8.0",
    "eslint-config-prettier": "^6.7.0",
    "eslint-config-standard": "^14.1.0",
    "eslint-config-standard-react": "^9.2.0",
    "eslint-plugin-import": "^2.18.2",
    "eslint-plugin-node": "^11.0.0",
    "eslint-plugin-prettier": "^3.1.1",
    "eslint-plugin-promise": "^4.2.1",
    "eslint-plugin-react": "^7.17.0",
    "eslint-plugin-standard": "^4.0.1",
    "gh-pages": "^2.2.0",
    "npm-run-all": "^4.1.5",
    "prettier": "^2.0.4"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "node-sass": "^7.0.0"
  }
}

and here's the jsconfig:

{
  "compilerOptions": {
    "baseUrl": "src"
  },
  "include": ["src"]
}
2 Answers

The example from the following link maybe you should navigate to your src file from the BaseUrl, or if you "src" is in the same directory as your config it should be only "."

https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/module-resolution.html#path-mapping

Example from link above:

{
  "compilerOptions": {
    "baseUrl": ".", // This must be specified if "paths" is.
    "paths": {
      "jquery": ["node_modules/jquery/dist/jquery"] // This mapping is relative to "baseUrl"
    }
  }
}

You need to do 3 things

tsconfig.json this enables typescript autocomplete

{
  "compilerOptions": {
    "baseUrl": ".",
    "paths": {
      "src/*": ["./src/*"],
      "src": ["./src"]
    }
  }
}

babel.config.js this plugin resolves relative modules

module.exports = {
  plugins: [
    [
      'module-resolver',
      {
        alias: {
          src: './src'
        }
      }
    ]
  ]
}

package.json // install babel-plugin-module-resolver

{
  //...
  "devDependencies": {
    //...
    "babel-plugin-module-resolver": "^3.2.0",
    // ...
  }
}
Related