I have been using Telethon for quite some time with my own API credentials and phone number, however recently, I decided to log on my app with my brothers phone and notice something weird:
from telethon import TelegramClient, events, utils
api_id = "something"
api_hash = "something"
client = TelegramClient('test', api_id, api_hash)
async def main():
me = await client.get_me()
print(me.stringify());
async for dialog in client.iter_dialogs():
print(dialog, "\n-----")
with client:
client.loop.run_until_complete(main())
When I run the above code logged with my own phone number it will not show a deleter dialog. But if I ran with someone else's phone number, it will show the name of the deleted dialog.
Example: I create a dialog, ran the above example and log with my own phone, the dialog shows up. Then, I delete the dialog (using the official android app) and run the above script again, the dialog doens't shows up. However if I repeat the above steps with someone else's phone number, the deleted dialog will show up.
NOTE: although the dialog show's up, the messages in the dialog don't.
Is this normal behaviour? What I am missing? Any comment will be of great help
====EDIT====
So, I have made some extra digging I discovered that this behaviour only applies to dialogs with my own account, aka, the account that owns the Telegram credentials.
Basically, I asked my brother to delete a group chat and when I ran the client.iter_dialogs, it was not there. Then, I asked him to delete a dialog with another person, I ran client.iter_dialogs and the dialog was not there.
It seems that Telegram have some kind of exception just for the account that owns the credentials (maybe they understand that I will need to have it as way to communicate to my clients, maybe it's just a bug).
====EDIT 2====
So, I have run the script again... and now it's not happening. I have no idea what was happening nor why, but it has stopped showing up. Perhaps something at the Telegram API itself, but I can't be sure. Anyway, if, for any reason, it happens in your script post on this thread or open an issue back on Telethon.
Thanks.