I am searching for a high performance C++ structure for a table. The table will have void* as keys and uint32 as values.
The table itself is very small and will not change after creation. The first idea that came to my mind is using something like ska::flat_hash_map<void*, int32_t> or std::unordered_map<void*, int32_t>. However that will be overkill and will not provide me the performance I want (those tables are suited for high number of items too).
So I thought about using std::vector<std::pair<void*, int32_t>>, sorting it upon creation and linear probing it. The next ideas will be using SIMD instructions but it is possible with the current structure.
Another solution which I will shortly evaluate is like that:
struct Group
{
void* items[5]; // search using SIMD
int32_t items[5];
}; // fits in cache line
struct Table
{
Group* groups;
size_t capacity;
};
Are there any better options? I need only 1 operation: finding values by keys, not modifying them, not anything. Thanks!
EDIT: another thing I think I should mention are the access patterns: suppose I have an array of those hash tables, each time I will look up from a random one in the array.