I'm currently working on a Object Detection project using Matterport MaskRCNN.
As part of the job is to detect a Green leaf that crosses a white grid. Until now I have defined the annotation (Polygons) in such a way that every single leaf which crosses the net (and gives white-green-white pattern) is considered a valid annotation.
But, when changing the definition above from single-cross annotation to multi-cross (more than one leaf crossing the net at once), I started to see a serious decrease in model performance during testing phase.
This raised my question - The only difference between the two comes down to size of the annotation. So:
Which of the following is more influential on learning during MaskRCNN's training - pattern or size?
If the pattern is influential, it's better. Because the goal is to identify a crossing. Conversely, if the size of the annotation is the influencer, then that's a problem, because I don't want the model to look for multi-cross or alternatively large single-cross in the image.
P.S. - References to recommended articles that explain the subject will be welcomed
Thanks in advance