Setup
I'm playing around with K8s and I set up a small, single-node, bare metal cluster. For this cluster I pulled the NGINX Ingress Controller config from here, which is coming from the official getting started guide.
Progress
Ok, so pulling this set up a bunch of things, including a LoadBalancer in front. I like that.
For my app (single pod, returns the caller IP) I created a bunch of things to play around with. I now have SSL enabled and another ingress controller, which I pointed to my app's service, which then points to the deployed pod. This all works perfectly, I can browse the page with https. See:
BUT...
My app is not getting the original IP from the client. All client requests end up as coming from 10.42.0.99... here's the controller config from describe:
Debugging
I tried like 50 solutions that were proposed online, none of them worked (ConfigMaps, annotations, proxy mode, etc). And I debugged in-depth, there's no X-Forwarder-For or any similar header in the request that reaches the pod. Previously I tested the same app on apache directly, and also in a docker setup, it works without any issues.
It's also worth mentioning that I looked into the ingress controller's pod and I already saw the same internal IP in there. I don't know how to debug the controller's pod further.
Happy to share more information and config if it helps.
UPDATE 2021-12-15
I think I know what the issue is... I didn't mention how I installed the cluster, assuming it's irrelevant. Now I think it's the most important thing
I set it up using K3S, which has its own LoadBalancer. And through debugging, I see now that all of my requests in NGINX have the IP of the load balancer's pod...
I still don't know how to make this Klipper LB give the source IP address though.
UPDATE 2021-12-17
Opened an issue with the Klipper LB.

