I am doing an FFT on a series of pulses. The series is one pulse of amplitude 1 every 7 days over a total of 367 days.
When I run the following code:
import numpy as np
import pandas as pd
from scipy.fft import fft, fftfreq, fftshift, ifft
from scipy.signal import blackman
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
import random
## Signal
num_samples = 367
# time in days
t = np.arange(int(num_samples))
# Amplitude and position of pulse. Amplitude here is 0 or 1 but can generate random values
# Position here is every 7th day
signal = [random.randint(1,1) if (i%7 == 0) else 0 for i, x in enumerate(t)]#np.sin(2*np.pi*5*t/N)#[random.randint(1,1) if (i%7 == 0) else 0 for i, x in enumerate(t)]#
# FFT and IFFT using Numpy
sr = 367
X = np.fft.fft(signal)
n = np.arange(num_samples)
T = num_samples/sr
freq = n/T
plt.figure(figsize = (12, 6))
plt.subplot(121)
plt.title('FFT using Numpy')
plt.stem(freq, np.abs(X), 'b', markerfmt=" ", basefmt="-b")
plt.xlabel('Freq (Hz)')
plt.ylabel('FFT Amplitude |X(freq)|')
plt.subplot(122)
plt.title('IFFT using Numpy')
plt.plot(t, np.fft.ifft(X), 'r')
plt.xlabel('Time (s)')
plt.ylabel('Amplitude')
plt.tight_layout()
plt.show()
# FFT and IFFT using Scipy
sp = fft(signal)
freq = fftfreq(t.shape[-1])
plt.figure(figsize = (12, 6))
plt.subplot(121)
plt.title('FFT using Scipy')
plt.stem(freq, np.abs(sp), 'b', markerfmt=" ", basefmt="-b")
plt.xlabel('Freq (Hz)')
plt.ylabel('FFT Amplitude |sp(freq)|')
plt.subplot(122)
plt.title('IFFT using Scipy')
plt.plot(t, ifft(sp), 'r')
plt.xlabel('Time (s)')
plt.ylabel('Amplitude')
plt.tight_layout()
plt.show()
Clearly there are shifting and scaling issues but more importantly I expected the fft of a pulse train to be a series of uniform peaks in the frequency spectrum. I don't understand the peaks that result which means I'm probably misunderstanding how the functions are interpreting the signal. Any guidance would be appreciated.



