I have a custom Databricks instance with a Domain name that points to an AWS Load Balancer. When I put that information in using either the HTTP instructions here or the databricks cluster instructions here, I get this response in the DBT CLI:
Connection:
host: https://subdomain.domain.com
port: 443
cluster: 123456-stuff00003
endpoint: None
schema: default
organization: 0
16:40:39.470091 [debug] [MainThread]: Acquiring new spark connection "debug"
16:40:39.471632 [debug] [MainThread]: Using spark connection "debug"
16:40:39.472524 [debug] [MainThread]: On debug: select 1 as id
16:40:39.472953 [debug] [MainThread]: Opening a new connection, currently in state init
Connection test: [ERROR]
1 check failed:
dbt was unable to connect to the specified database.
The database returned the following error:
>Runtime Error
Database Error
failed to connect
Unfortunately, DBT's debugging logs are terrible and I am not entirely sure why it is failing. I do know that when I connect to the cluster via Intellij I have to provide the CA file, the Client Certificate file, and the Client key file, because I am using a self-signed SSL cert (unfortunately, the self signed cert is required). Also, when defining my ~/.databrickscfg file I have to provide the argument insecure = true.