I have a dataset containing time periods during which an intervention is happening. We have two types of interventions. I have the start and end date of each intervention. I would now like to extract the time (in days) when there is no overlap between the two types and how much overlap there is.
Here's an example dataset:
data <- data.table( id = seq(1,21),
type = as.character(c(1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,2,1,1,1,1,1)),
start_dt = as.Date(c("2015-01-09", "2015-04-14", "2015-06-19", "2015-10-30", "2016-03-01", "2016-05-24",
"2016-08-03", "2017-08-18", "2017-08-18", "2018-02-01", "2018-05-07", "2018-08-09",
"2019-01-31", "2019-03-22", "2019-05-16", "2019-11-04", "2019-11-04", "2020-02-06",
"2020-05-28", "2020-08-25", "2020-12-14")),
end_dt = as.Date(c("2017-07-24", "2015-05-04", "2015-08-27", "2015-11-19", "2016-03-21", "2016-06-09",
"2017-07-18", "2019-02-21", "2018-01-23", "2018-04-25", "2018-07-29", "2019-01-15",
"2019-04-24", "2019-09-13", "2019-10-13", "2020-12-23", "2020-01-26", "2020-04-29",
"2020-08-19", "2020-11-16", "2021-03-07")))
> data
id type start_dt end_dt
1: 1 1 2015-01-09 2017-07-24
2: 2 2 2015-04-14 2015-05-04
3: 3 2 2015-06-19 2015-08-27
4: 4 2 2015-10-30 2015-11-19
5: 5 2 2016-03-01 2016-03-21
6: 6 2 2016-05-24 2016-06-09
7: 7 2 2016-08-03 2017-07-18
8: 8 2 2017-08-18 2019-02-21
9: 9 1 2017-08-18 2018-01-23
10: 10 1 2018-02-01 2018-04-25
11: 11 1 2018-05-07 2018-07-29
12: 12 1 2018-08-09 2019-01-15
13: 13 1 2019-01-31 2019-04-24
14: 14 2 2019-03-22 2019-09-13
15: 15 1 2019-05-16 2019-10-13
16: 16 2 2019-11-04 2020-12-23
17: 17 1 2019-11-04 2020-01-26
18: 18 1 2020-02-06 2020-04-29
19: 19 1 2020-05-28 2020-08-19
20: 20 1 2020-08-25 2020-11-16
21: 21 1 2020-12-14 2021-03-07
Here's a plot of the data for a better view of what I want to know:
library(ggplot2)
ggplot(data = data,
aes(x = start_dt, xend = end_dt, y = id, yend = id, color = type)) +
geom_segment(size = 2) +
xlab("") +
ylab("") +
theme_bw()
I'll describe the first part of the example: we have an intervention of type 1 from 2015-01-09 until 2017-07-24. From 2015-04-14 however, also intervention type 2 is happening. This means that we only have "pure" type 1 from 2015-01-09 to 2015-04-13, which is 95 days.
Then we have an overlapping period from 2015-04-14 to 2015-05-04, which is 21 days. Then we again have a period with only type 1 from 2015-05-05 to 2015-06-18, which is 45 days. In total, we now have had (95 + 45 =) 140 days of "pure" type 1 and 21 days of overlap. Then we continue like this for the entire time period.
I would like to know the total time (in days) of "pure" type 1, "pure" type 2 and overlap.
Alternatively, if also possible, I would like to organise the data such, that I get all the seperate time periods extracted, meaning that the data would look something like this (type 3 = overlap):
> data_adjusted
id type start_dt end_dt
1: 1 1 2015-01-09 2015-04-14
2: 2 3 2015-04-15 2015-05-04
3: 3 1 2015-05-05 2015-06-18
4: 4 3 2015-06-19 2015-08-27
........
The time in days spent in each intervention type can then easily be calculated from data_adjuted.
I have similar answers using dplyr or just marking overlapping time periods, but I have not found an answer to my specific case.
Is there an efficient way to calculate this using data.table?
