I'm attempting to work with the Canadian radio station DBF files made public here: https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sms-sgs-prod.nsf/eng/h_00015.html
I'd like to read specifically the fmstatio.dbf file into a Pandas DataFrame. I've tried the two commonly recommended DBF packages in Python.
When using simpledbf (https://pypi.org/project/simpledbf/), I only get the column names when using the dbf.to_dataframe() function.
I also tried dbf on pypi (https://pypi.org/project/dbf/). I'm able to read the DBF file into a table:
table = dbf.Table(filename='/datadrive/canada/fmstatio.dbf')
table.open(dbf.READ_ONLY)
print(table)
table.close()
And get the following information on the table:
Table: /datadrive/canada/fmstatio.dbf
Type: dBase III Plus
Codepage: ascii (plain ol' ascii)
Status: DbfStatus.READ_ONLY
Last updated: 1921-12-07
Record count: 8428
Field count: 37
Record length: 221
But when trying to convert into a DataFrame, I am unsuccessful:
oh_canada = pd.DataFrame(table)
table.close()
Error I receive:
data = fielddef[CLASS](decoder(data)[0])
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)
Might anyone have insight as to the best way to go about working with this kind of DBF file in Pandas? Many thanks in advance.