As a disclaimer, this question is only for my curiosity and for practicing triggers and compound triggers particularly.
I've been trying to replace the UNIQUE constraint with a trigger in order to understand triggers more, but I haven't been successful so far, mainly because of the global variables that I'm not so comfortable with inside the compound triggers. what I'm trying to do with a trigger :
ALTER TABLE Employee
ADD CONSTRAINT emp_UQ
UNIQUE (id_emp, id_office);
here's what I tried so far (t for type, g for global):
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER BIUUniqueConstraint
FOR INSERT OR UPDATE ON Employee
COMPOUND TRIGGER
TYPE tIdEmpOffice IS TABLE OF Employee.id_emp%TYPE
INDEX BY VARCHAR2(80);
gIdEmpOffice tIdEmpOffice;
TYPE tId_emp IS TABLE OF Employee.id_emp%TYPE;
gId_emp tId_emp;
TYPE tId_office IS TABLE OF Employee.id_office%TYPE;
gId_office tId_office;
BEFORE STATEMENT IS
BEGIN
SELECT e.id_emp, e.id_office
BULK COLLECT INTO gId_emp, gId_office
FROM Employee e
ORDER BY e.id_emp;
FOR j IN 1..gId_emp.COUNT() LOOP
gIdEmpOffice(gId_emp(j)) := gId_office(j);
END LOOP;
END BEFORE STATEMENT;
BEFORE EACH ROW IS
BEGIN
IF INSERTING THEN
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(gIdEmpOffice(:NEW.id_emp);
END IF;
END BEFORE EACH ROW;
END BIUCompteParti;
/
I have no clue how to move forward with this trigger and would like suggestions and explanations if possible about how to use globale variables to store data and how to use them on a row level.