Hilt - what is the Java equivalent to kotlin's "by viewmodels()" to inject viewmodel into activity?

Viewed 403

I'm following Kotlin tutorial on learning Dagger Hilt for dependency injection. The tutorial uses

class MainActivity: AppCompatActivity() {
    private val viewModel: TestViewModel by viewModels()
}

in the MainActivity to inject the viewmodel.

It requires a dependency: implementation "androidx.activity.activity-ktx:1.1.0" to do so.

I'm trying to learn hilt in Java so I'm unsure what the Java equivalent of injecting the viewmodel into my activity is.

This is incorrect and doesn't work

@Inject
private TestViewModel testViewModel;

and using

testViewModel = new ViewModelProvider(this).get(TestViewModel.class);

doesn't seem like dependency injection.

What is the equivalent of by viewModels() in Java?

1 Answers

testViewModel = new ViewModelProvider(this).get(TestViewModel.class) is indeed exactly what by viewModels() does for you.

You'll note that both by viewModels() and new ViewModelProvder(this) don't pass in a custom ViewModelProvider.Factory instance - that's because they use the default Factory - the one setup by Hilt to correctly create your ViewModel via DI.

Related