I'm planning to move away from Docker to Podman. I use docker-compose a lot so am planning to switch to podman-compose as well.
However I'm stuck at the simplest of podman examples, I can't seem to mount a volume onto my container? Obviously I'm doing something wrong however I cant figure out what it is.
My source file definitely exists on my (hardware) host (so not the podman machine). but I keep getting the error 'no such file or directory'.
Funny thing is if I manually create the same file locally on the podman machine (podman machine ssh --> touch /tmp/test.txt) it works perfectly fine.
Question is;
- should I (manually?) mount all my local files onto the Fedora VM (podman machine) so that in turn this Fedora mount can be used in my actual container? and if so, how do I do this?
- The
podman runcmd below should work and there is something else I'm doing wrong?
$ ls -al /tmp/test.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 <username> <group> 10 Dec 8 13:33 /tmp/test.txt
$ podman run -it -v /tmp/test.txt:/tmp/test.txt docker.io/library/busybox
Error: statfs /tmp/test.txt: no such file or directory
$ podman run -it -v /tmp/test.txt:/tmp/test.txt:Z docker.io/library/busybox
Error: statfs /tmp/test.txt: no such file or directory
Additional information:
$ podman info --debug
host:
arch: amd64
buildahVersion: 1.23.1
cgroupControllers:
- memory
- pids
cgroupManager: systemd
cgroupVersion: v2
conmon:
package: conmon-2.0.30-2.fc35.x86_64
path: /usr/bin/conmon
version: 'conmon version 2.0.30, commit: '
cpus: 10
distribution:
distribution: fedora
variant: coreos
version: "35"
eventLogger: journald
hostname: localhost.localdomain
idMappings:
gidmap:
- container_id: 0
host_id: 1000
size: 1
- container_id: 1
host_id: 100000
size: 65536
uidmap:
- container_id: 0
host_id: 1000
size: 1
- container_id: 1
host_id: 100000
size: 65536
kernel: 5.15.6-200.fc35.x86_64
linkmode: dynamic
logDriver: journald
memFree: 11733594112
memTotal: 12538863616
ociRuntime:
name: crun
package: crun-1.3-1.fc35.x86_64
path: /usr/bin/crun
version: |-
crun version 1.3
commit: 8e5757a4e68590326dafe8a8b1b4a584b10a1370
spec: 1.0.0
+SYSTEMD +SELINUX +APPARMOR +CAP +SECCOMP +EBPF +CRIU +YAJL
os: linux
remoteSocket:
exists: true
path: /run/user/1000/podman/podman.sock
security:
apparmorEnabled: false
capabilities: CAP_CHOWN,CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE,CAP_FOWNER,CAP_FSETID,CAP_KILL,CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_SETFCAP,CAP_SETGID,CAP_SETPCAP,CAP_SETUID,CAP_SYS_CHROOT
rootless: true
seccompEnabled: true
seccompProfilePath: /usr/share/containers/seccomp.json
selinuxEnabled: true
serviceIsRemote: true
slirp4netns:
executable: /usr/bin/slirp4netns
package: slirp4netns-1.1.12-2.fc35.x86_64
version: |-
slirp4netns version 1.1.12
commit: 7a104a101aa3278a2152351a082a6df71f57c9a3
libslirp: 4.6.1
SLIRP_CONFIG_VERSION_MAX: 3
libseccomp: 2.5.3
swapFree: 0
swapTotal: 0
uptime: 7h 9m 29.12s (Approximately 0.29 days)
plugins:
log:
- k8s-file
- none
- journald
network:
- bridge
- macvlan
volume:
- local
registries:
search:
- docker.io
store:
configFile: /var/home/core/.config/containers/storage.conf
containerStore:
number: 4
paused: 0
running: 0
stopped: 4
graphDriverName: overlay
graphOptions: {}
graphRoot: /var/home/core/.local/share/containers/storage
graphStatus:
Backing Filesystem: xfs
Native Overlay Diff: "true"
Supports d_type: "true"
Using metacopy: "false"
imageStore:
number: 8
runRoot: /run/user/1000/containers
volumePath: /var/home/core/.local/share/containers/storage/volumes
version:
APIVersion: 3.4.2
Built: 1636748737
BuiltTime: Fri Nov 12 20:25:37 2021
GitCommit: ""
GoVersion: go1.16.8
OsArch: linux/amd64
Version: 3.4.2