I have implemented packer of x86_64 shared library. Briefly,
- a simple xor-loader is injected to a shared library (by creating a new section)
- the rela.dyn act as an entrypoint for the shared library
- the rela.dyn entry is patched such that it points to the address of the loader.
- once the shared library is called, the xor-loader is triggered and decrypt the .text section.
The mechanism works fine for the x86_64 shared library. The rela.dyn tricks is borrowed from https://github.com/0xN3utr0n/Noteme/blob/master/injection.c
However, this mechanism failed on aarch64. I found that
if I xor-ed the .text section, the xor-loader is bypassed
- I got Illegal instruction (core dumped), since the .text section has not been decrypted by the xor-loader. (confirmed by inspecting the .text section by gdb)
- I have the loader objdump-ed, the loader is intact.
if I don't xor the .text section, the xor-loader is called and work normally. (But the decryption is wrong, since the .text section has not been xor-ed beforehand).
Question:
- What could have possible went wrong in aarch64 ?
The result of readelf for aarch64 shared library is provided below.
libtest.so is the library before packing.
While libtest_packed.so is the library after packing.
Here is the result of readelf --relocs libtest.so
Relocation section '.rela.dyn' at offset 0x550 contains 7 entries:
000000010df0 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 780
000000010df8 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 738
000000011018 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 11018
000000010fc8 000300000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 _ITM_deregisterTMClone + 0
000000010fd0 000400000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 __cxa_finalize@GLIBC_2.17 + 0
000000010fd8 000500000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 __gmon_start__ + 0
000000010fe0 000700000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 _ITM_registerTMCloneTa + 0
the functions corresponding to the first 3 entries are:
0000000000000780 t frame_dummy
0000000000000738 t __do_global_dtors_aux
000000000011018 d __dso_handle
here is the result of readelf --relocs libtest_packed.so
Relocation section '.rela.dyn' at offset 0x550 contains 7 entries:
Offset Info Type Sym. Value Sym. Name + Addend
000000010df0 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 11028
000000010df8 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 738
000000011018 000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV 11018
000000010fc8 000300000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 _ITM_deregisterTMClone + 0
000000010fd0 000400000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 __cxa_finalize@GLIBC_2.17 + 0
000000010fd8 000500000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 __gmon_start__ + 0
000000010fe0 000700000401 R_AARCH64_GLOB_DA 0000000000000000 _ITM_registerTMCloneTa + 0
As you can see, the first entry is overwritten by the address of the loader.