Is it possible for an app to prevent the keyboard from learning words on Android?

Viewed 75

I am developing an Android application (Xamarin Forms) where the user will be entering personal and potentially sensitive information. I would like to prevent the keyboard from "learning" words that the user enters into the application.

I know it is possible for the user to manually delete learned words from their phone (as explained here: https://trendblog.net/delete-learned-words-android-keyboard/ ) but is it possible for an application, or specifically text entries, to tell Android to not learn from entered text?

1 Answers

In Xamarin Forms Entry, try turning off text prediction:

<Entry ... IsTextPredictionEnabled="false" />

I don't know whether that also disables "remembering" what you type. Try it, and leave a comment whether that worked.


If no cross-platform solution is suggested, then you'll need to make a "custom renderer" for Entry, in your .Android project.

There, behavior is controlled by the input type.

Try visible password or maybe no suggestions. (not sure exactly what those are in xamarin, but intellisense will show you the options, at the right place in the custom renderer's code.)

Related