I'm working on a MSI installer for our java app using Jpackage.
Versions:
openjdk version "17.0.1" 2021-10-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.1+12 (build 17.0.1+12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.1+12 (build 17.0.1+12, mixed mode, sharing
jpackage 17.0.1
OS Name: Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Datacenter
OS Version: 10.0.17763 N/A Build 17763
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Server
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Jpackage Usage:
jpackage --input ./home ^
--name "Acme Application" ^
--main-jar app.jar ^
--main-class org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher ^
--java-options "-splash:$APPDIR/splash.png" ^
--java-options -Xmx2g ^
--icon resources/package.ico ^
--win-shortcut ^
--win-menu ^
--type msi ^
--app-version %1
Upgrade Process
The installation works fine and everything runs well. The upgrade process also works fine under normal circumstances. When the user tries to run the new MSI package while the application is still running, the MSI installer prompts the user to close the application before continuing:
Selecting to close the application and continue causes the application to close on the users desktop but the installer then prompts the user again with the same dialog. Selecting the same option (close and continue), allows the installer to complete but the user is then warned that they need to restart.
Upon restarting, it appears that application version 1.0.0 is still running. Checking the jar file signature before and after shows that installer failed to overwrite the original.
Event Viewer
Checking the event viewer, I'm only seeing a few things of interest:
Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: *******. Product Version: 1.0.1. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Unknown. Type of System Restart: 1. Reason for Restart: 0.
and
The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of '*******'.
Failing to Stop the Application
I also noticed that the application is not completely stopping. Looking at the task manager, it shows the application running under the user and then moves to background processes. This leads me to believe that it's still locking the jar file. The application stops normally under other circumstances so I'm not sure what's different here.
I'm assuming that I need to solve this mystery but I have no idea why the application wouldn't respond to the installer's close signal while working with everything else.

