I have the following function that scrolls some elements "up" out of view by adjusting their style every "tick":
const incr = 1;
let moved = 0;
function changeHeight( children, duration, setTop) {
// duration = 1500
const height = children.clientHeight; // in this case, 166px
let moved = 0;
const slideUp = function (timestamp) {
// we're done if the amount moved is larger than height
if ( moved < height ) {
children.style.top = `${ setTop( moved, height ) }px`;
moved = moved + incr // move by some amount
requestAnimationFrame(slideUp)
} else {
// reset
moved = 0;
}
};
// start sliding
slideUp();
}
If requestAnimationFrame triggers roughly every 16ms or so, I would like to use duration to dictate how long the animation will be running for, so the formula seems to be height * 16.5 / duration
I'm confused by requestAnimationFrame - why is the time per tick not constant? I'd like to use timestamp that's generated by requestAnimationFrame but the first few cycles take much longer than the average of ~16.5
Is the 16.5 going to look different on a different machine or screen?
How do I make the height change take exactly the amount of time specified?