I am trying to use the lme4 package in R and function lmer() to fit a model for my split-split plot design. I would have used a repeated measures ANOVA if I did not have a small number of observations missing, but the missing data should be no problem with a linear mixed effects model.
My data frame (data) has a simple structure with four factors and a numeric outcome variable called all_vai. Note that in this example data frame, not all levels of all factors are crossed even though they would be in my real data (except for the missing observations). It shouldn't matter for my question, which is an attempt to fix problematic syntax.
collected_vai <- rnorm(125, mean = 6, sd = 1)
missing <- rep(NA, times = 3)
all_vai <- c(collected_vai, missing)
year1 <- rep(2018, times = 32)
year2 <- rep(2019, times = 32)
year3 <- rep(2020, times = 32)
year4 <- rep(2021, times = 32)
year <- c(year1, year2, year3, year4)
disturbance_severity <- rep(c(0,45,65,85), each = 32)
treatment <- rep(c("B" , "T"), each = 64)
replicate <- rep(c("A", "B", "C", "D"), each = 32)
data = data.frame(all_vai, year, disturbance_severity, treatment, replicate)
data$year <- as.factor(data$year)
data$disturbance_severity <- as.factor(data$disturbance_severity)
data$treatment <- as.factor(data$treatment)
data$replicate <- as.factor(data$replicate)
Here is the model I ran for an identical data set with a different (normally distributed) numeric outcome and no missing observations -- i.e., this is the model I would be running if I didn't have unbalanced repeated measures now due to missing data:
VAImodel1 <- aov(all_vai ~ disturbance_severity*treatment*year + Error(replicate/disturbance_severity/treatment/year), data = data)
summary(VAImodel1)
When I run this, I get the error message: "Warning message: In aov(mean_vai ~ disturbance_severity * treatment * Year + Error(Replicate/disturbance_severity/treatment/Year), : Error() model is singular"
I have observations from different years nested within different treatments, which are nested within different disturbance severities, and all of this nested within replicates (which are experimental blocks). So I tried using this structure in lme4:
library(lme4)
library(lmerTest)
VAImodel2 <- lmer(all_vai ~ (year|replicate:disturbance_severity:treatment) + disturbance_severity*treatment*year, data = data)
summary(VAImodel2)
And this is the error message I get: "Error: number of observations (=125) <= number of random effects (=128) for term (Year | Replicate:disturbance_severity:treatment); the random-effects parameters and the residual variance (or scale parameter) are probably unidentifiable"
Next I tried simplifying my model so that I was not running out of degrees of freedom, by removing the treatment variable and interaction term, like so:
VAImodel3 <- lmer(all_vai ~ (year|replicate:disturbance_severity) + disturbance_severity*year, data = data)
summary(VAImodel3)
This time I get a different error: "boundary (singular) fit: see ?isSingular Warning message: Model failed to converge with 1 negative eigenvalue: -1.2e-01 "
Thank you in advance for any help.