Clarifying correct usage for <meta name="format-detection">

Viewed 285

I cannot find a standard W3 or WHAT-WG (or even non-standard third-party) spec for:

<meta name="format-detection">

I have two principle questions.

Question 1: What formats may be referenced in the format-detection meta-tag?

Most commonly, third-party references cite telephone.

Occasionally email or date are cited.

More rarely, address is cited.

One source (https://www.goodemailcode.com/email-code/template.html) cites url.

This gives the following list of formats:

  • telephone
  • email
  • date
  • address
  • url

Is that the complete list of formats? Are there any others?

Question 2: Must each format be individually referenced, or can any number of formats be referenced together in a single meta-tag?

That is to ask, is it necessary to declare:

<meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no">
<meta name="format-detection" content="email=no">
<meta name="format-detection" content="date=no">
<meta name="format-detection" content="address=no">
<meta name="format-detection" content="url=no">

Or is this perfectly acceptable:

<meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no, email=no, date=no, address=no, url=no">

If format-detection isn't an accepted standard, I'm entirely happy to refer to a non-standard spec (or blog post), so long as the document has some authority and isn't simply a third-party observation or comment.

0 Answers
Related