To begin, I am doing this using only arrays (no hash maps or array lists).
I am trying to create a method, project, which inputs two integer arrays with different sizes.
I am trying to compare them in a way to get the following output: projecting [1, 3, 5, 3] to [2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 3] results in: [1, 3, 1, 5, 3].
However, projecting [2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 3] to [1, 3, 5, 3] results in: [1, 3, 5, 3].
I believe the nested for loop might be wrong as it is iterating through the first indices for the first array all the way through the second array, then going to the next.
I'm getting an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException for the starred line (tempArray[i] == arr1[i], I know it shouldn't be tempArray[i] but not sure what exactly to put).
I'm not sure how to compare them in a way to produce the line above, as it needs to be "in order". What could be the best way to accomplish this?
I attempted the following code:
public int[] project(int[] arr1, int[] arr2) {
int counter = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < arr1.length; i++) {
for (int j = 0; j < arr2.length; j++) {
if (arr1[i] == arr2[j]) {
counter++;
}
}
}
int[] tempArray = new int[counter];
for(int i = 0 ; i < arr1.length; i++) {
for (int j = 0; j < arr2.length; j++) {
if(arr1[i] == arr2[j]) {
tempArray[i] = arr1[i]; // UNDERLINED
}
}
}
}
Edit
The ArrayIndexOutOfBounds error is gone, but now my return statement is: projecting [1, 3, 5] to [2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 3] results in: [1, 3, 5, 0, 0], when it needs to be: projecting [1, 3, 5] to [2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 3] results in: [1, 3, 1, 5, 3].
Any idea what is causing this issue?