I've been learning about ASP.NET environment variables and configurations.
I see that, by default, any settings placed in appsettings.Development.json will override the same settings in appsettings.json when running in my own local environment. And that appsettings.Development.json is not deployed and so does not override any settings when deployed.
My question: Does anyone know a way to use this same mechanism for multiple deployed configurations?
For example, I have a website and a demo version of the website. Both use the same code base but a couple of settings need to be different for the demo site. It would be great if I could create appsettings.Demo.json and place any settings in there that need to be overridden just for the demo site.
Currently, I just set an IsDemoSite setting in the file. This works but it would be much more elegant if I could have different configuration settings.
I haven't been able to find any documentation about having different configurations when deployed.
Also, one of the differences is that the demo site uses a different database connection string. And so I would need to be able to set which version I'm working on when running migrations, etc.