This behavior feels more like a bug to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Firstly, here is what I did:
0) `mkdir mytest && cd mytest`
1) `git init`: Created an empty git repo
2) `echo "test" >test.txt && git commit -a -m "init"`: Created 1 commit with a single file
3) `echo "test2" >test.txt && echo "test2" >test2.txt`: Made some changes in the file i committed + created a new file
4) `git stash -u`: Used stash -u to save my changes
5) `echo "test3" >test.txt && git commit -a -m "2"`: Created a second commit with a different change on the existing file in order to force a conflict
6) `git stash pop`: I git stash pop to create a conflict between the second commit and my stash from my first commit
I was expecting to have 1 file in conflict stage and the untracked file to be created in my current working directory, but when I run git status I could only find the conflict:
mytest git:(master) ✗ git status
On branch master
Unmerged paths:
(use "git restore --staged <file>..." to unstage)
(use "git add <file>..." to mark resolution)
both modified: test.txt
Is this expected behaviour? How can I resolve the conflict and get the untracked file of mine back?