I am using this Github repo and folder path I found: https://github.com/entechlog/kafka-examples/tree/master/kafka-connect-standalone
The issue I am having is that, as a matter of access control, I must specify my group ID by adding a prefix to it, let's call it abc-. When I build this Docker image, I check my logs and I can see that the group ID ends up being connect-bq-sink-connector, which I am assuming is a concatenation of the word connect- along with the variable CONNECTOR_NAME seen in the docker-compose file. When I change the connector name variable, my group ID also changes (but the connect- prefix always remains). You will also see a variable called CONNECT_GROUP_ID in the docker-compose file. This variable appears to have absolutely no effect on the Kafka connect instance. The Docker logs give this (in this order):
WARN The configuration 'group.id' was supplied but isn't a known config. (org.apache.kafka.clients.admin.AdminClientConfig:380)
and then later...
...
group.id = connect-bq-sink-connector
The final error, which is mostly unimportant as I know it is due to lack of permissions, is simply:
[2021-12-03 22:37:32,775] INFO [bq-sink-connector|task-0] [Consumer clientId=connector-consumer-bq-sink-connector-0, groupId=connect-bq-sink-connector] FindCoordinator request hit fatal exception (org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.AbstractCoordinator:260)
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.GroupAuthorizationException: Not authorized to access Group: connect-bq-sink-connector
and so two things: I cannot figure out why the word connect- is being prefixed every time to the resulting group ID, and also why the variable CONNECT_GROUP_ID seems to not function at all.
I thought maybe the image is forcibly hard coding connect- in front. I tried running this by changing line 50 in the docker compose file from image: entechlog/cp-kafka-connect${CONFLUENT_VERSION_TAG} to image: confluentinc/cp-kafka:5.0.0 and it changed nothing.
What is causing this prefix to be added, and how can I override this? I can keep the word connect there if necessary, but I simply need to add my prefix abc- in front of it.