Having a tibble and a simple scatterplot:
p <- tibble(
x = rnorm(50, 1),
y = rnorm(50, 10)
)
ggplot(p, aes(x, y)) + geom_point()
I get something like this:
I would like to align (center, left, right, as the case may be) the title of the x-axis - here rather blandly x - with a specific value on the axis, say the off-center 0 in this case. Is there a way to do that declaratively, without having to resort to the dumb (as in "free of context") trial-and-error element_text(hjust=??). The ?? are rather appropriate here because every value is a result of experimentation (my screen and PDF export in RStudio never agree on quite some plot elements). Any change in the data or the dimensions of the rendering may (or may not) invalidate the hjust value and I am looking for a solution that graciously repositions itself, much like the axes do.
Following the suggestions in the comments by @tjebo I dug a little deeper into the coordinate spaces. hjust = 0.0 and hjust = 1.0 clearly align the label with the Cartesian coordinate system extent (but magically left-aligned and right-aligned, respectively) so when I set specific limits, calculation of the exact value of hjust is straightforward (aiming for 0 and hjust = (0 - -1.5) / (3.5 - -1.5) = 0.3):
ggplot(p, aes(x, y)) +
geom_point() +
coord_cartesian(ylim = c(8, 12.5), xlim = c(-1.5, 3.5), expand=FALSE) +
theme(axis.title.x = element_text(hjust = 0.3))
This gives an acceptable result for a label like x, but for longer labels the alignment is off again:
ggplot(p %>% mutate(`Longer X label` = x), aes(x = `Longer X label`, y = y)) +
geom_point() +
coord_cartesian(ylim = c(8, 12.5), xlim = c(-1.5, 3.5), expand=FALSE) +
theme(axis.title.x = element_text(hjust = 0.3))
Any further suggestions much appreciated.




