I have a matrix $X$ and I would like to find its first principal component and the corresponding loadings. I would like to do this without computing the covariance matrix of $X$. How can I do so?
This is the standard version, which uses the eigendecomposition of the covariance matrix.
using LinearAlgebra: eigen
using Statistics: mean
function find_principal_component(X)
n = size(X, 1)
B = X .- mapslices(mean, X, dims=[1]) # Center columns of X
evalues, V = eigen(B'B / (n - 1)) # EigenDecomposition of Covariance Matrix
PC = V[:, argmax(evalues)] # Grab principal component and compute loading
return B * PC, PC
end
Alternatively, one could use the power method, which still uses the covariance matrix
function power_method(X, niter=50)
pc = randn(size(X, 2))
pc /= norm(pc)
M = X'X
for i in 1:niter
pc = M * pc
pc /= norm(pc)
end
return X * pc, pc
end
I would like something like the power method, but without needing to compute the covariance matrix, which can be quite costly.
Possible solution
I noticed something interesting. Let r_t be the principal component vector at time t. The idea of the power method is to start with a random r_t and multiply it by X' X many times to stretch it towards the principal component. In other words r_{t+1} = X' X r_t
Once we have the principal component r_t then the loadings are simply \ell_t = X r_t. This means we can write r_{t+1} = X^\top \ell_t
One could therefore start with r_t and \ell_t initialized randomly and then do
r_{t+1} = normalize(X^\top \ell_t)\\
\ell_{t+1} = X r_{t+1}