I have a simple Next.js app that I am developing on macOS (chrome) and have only noticed something is wrong when testing on Windows (chrome, and others too).
I use the font Inter from Google Fonts, nextjs + tailwind takes care of injecting needed css in <head>:
<link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com" />
<link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.gstatic.com" crossOrigin="" />
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Inter&display=swap" rel="stylesheet" />
which after build translates to:
<style data-href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Inter&display=swap">
@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfMZs.woff) format('woff')}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZJhjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0460-052F,U+1C80-1C88,U+20B4,U+2DE0-2DFF,U+A640-A69F,U+FE2E-FE2F}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZthjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0400-045F,U+0490-0491,U+04B0-04B1,U+2116}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZNhjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+1F00-1FFF}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZxhjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0370-03FF}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZBhjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0102-0103,U+0110-0111,U+0128-0129,U+0168-0169,U+01A0-01A1,U+01AF-01B0,U+1EA0-1EF9,U+20AB}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZFhjp-Ek-_EeAmM.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0100-024F,U+0259,U+1E00-1EFF,U+2020,U+20A0-20AB,U+20AD-20CF,U+2113,U+2C60-2C7F,U+A720-A7FF}@font-face{font-family:'Inter';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-display:swap;src:url(https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/inter/v7/UcCO3FwrK3iLTeHuS_fvQtMwCp50KnMw2boKoduKmMEVuLyfAZ9hjp-Ek-_EeA.woff) format('woff');unicode-range:U+0000-00FF,U+0131,U+0152-0153,U+02BB-02BC,U+02C6,U+02DA,U+02DC,U+2000-206F,U+2074,U+20AC,U+2122,U+2191,U+2193,U+2212,U+2215,U+FEFF,U+FFFD}
</style>
and tailwind config:
theme: {
extend: {
fontFamily: {
sans: ['Inter var', ...defaultTheme.fontFamily.sans],
},
},
},
which then after build, in browsers sets following declaration to <html> tag:
font-family:
Inter var,ui-sans-serif,system-ui,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,Segoe UI,Roboto,Helvetica Neue,Arial,Noto Sans,sans-serif,Apple Color Emoji,Segoe UI Emoji,Segoe UI Symbol,Noto Color Emoji
The "Inter var" works perfectly on macOS browsers, doesn't work on Windows - it falls back to next option. When I change it to "Inter" only, it works on Windows too, but obviously, the variable font stuff is gone and everything is too thin. Rather than changing all CSS to reflect to this, why does the variable font not work on Windows? I already spend about a whole day on this and other SO posts didn't seem to work for me. Am I doing something wrong?