I have an s3 bucket which will receive new files throughout the day. I want to download these to my ec2 instance everytime a new file is uploaded to the bucket.
I have read that its possible using sqs or sns or lambda. Which is the easiest of them all? I need the file to be downloaded as early as possible once it is uploaded into the bucket.
EDIT
I basically will be getting png images in the bucket every few seconds or minutes. Everytime a new image is uploaded, I want to download that on the instance which is already running. I will do some AI processing. As the images will keeep coming into the bucket, I want to constantly keep downloading it in the ec2 and process it as soon as possible. This is my code in the Lambda function so far.
import boto3
import json
def lambda_handler(event, context):
"""Read file from s3 on trigger."""
#print(event)
s3 = boto3.client("s3")
client = boto3.client("ec2")
ssm = boto3.client("ssm")
instanceid = "******"
if event:
file_obj = event["Records"][0]
#print(file_obj)
bucketname = str(file_obj["s3"]["bucket"]["name"])
print(bucketname)
filename = str(file_obj["s3"]["object"]["key"])
print(filename)
response = ssm.send_command(
InstanceIds=[instanceid],
DocumentName="AWS-RunShellScript",
Parameters={
"commands": [f"aws s3 cp {filename} ."]
}, # replace command_to_be_executed with command
)
# fetching command id for the output
command_id = response["Command"]["CommandId"]
time.sleep(3)
# fetching command output
output = ssm.get_command_invocation(CommandId=command_id, InstanceId=instanceid)
print(output)
return
However I am getting the following error
Test Event Name
test
Response
{
"errorMessage": "2021-12-01T14:11:30.781Z 88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936 Task timed out after 3.00 seconds"
}
Function Logs
START RequestId: 88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936 Version: $LATEST
END RequestId: 88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936
REPORT RequestId: 88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936 Duration: 3003.58 ms Billed Duration: 3000 ms Memory Size: 128 MB Max Memory Used: 87 MB Init Duration: 314.81 ms
2021-12-01T14:11:30.781Z 88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936 Task timed out after 3.00 seconds
Request ID
88dbe51b-53d6-4c06-8c16-207698b3a936
When I remove all the lines related to ssm, it works fine. Is there any permission issue or is there any problem with the code?
EDIT2
My code is working but I dont see any output or change in my ec2 instance. I should be seeing an empty text file in the home directory but I dont see anything Code
import boto3
import json
import time
import logging
logger = logging.getLogger()
logger.setLevel(logging.INFO)
def lambda_handler(event, context):
"""Read file from s3 on trigger."""
#print(event)
s3 = boto3.client("s3")
client = boto3.client("ec2")
ssm = boto3.client("ssm")
instanceid = "******"
print("HI")
if event:
file_obj = event["Records"][0]
#print(file_obj)
bucketname = str(file_obj["s3"]["bucket"]["name"])
print(bucketname)
filename = str(file_obj["s3"]["object"]["key"])
print(filename)
print("sending")
try:
response = ssm.send_command(
InstanceIds=[instanceid],
DocumentName="AWS-RunShellScript",
Parameters={
"commands": ["touch hi.txt"]
}, # replace command_to_be_executed with command
)
# fetching command id for the output
command_id = response["Command"]["CommandId"]
time.sleep(3)
# fetching command output
output = ssm.get_command_invocation(CommandId=command_id, InstanceId=instanceid)
print(output)
except Exception as e:
logger.error(e)
raise e