Google sheets max cells limits and mitigations

Viewed 240

I'd read online that Google sheets has a max cell limit of 5 million cells. A sheet that I'm currently working on has well and above passed that limit (including blank cells).

  1. What is the new limit?
  2. Also I'd manually checked how many cells I was using. Is there any function or script that I can use to keep a check?
  3. The sheet I'm working on is going to only get bigger and it's already lagging heavily. I'd love some suggestions on which platform I could move to next to handle such big data. There are so many options, it's mindboggling. I use Google sheets mainly for it's ease in collaboration, presentability and ease of use. Any other tool with these traits but with an ability to handle bigger data?
2 Answers

The easiest way I found to check the cell limit was to try and add a huge amount of lines at the end of the document, which gave me this error message:

Error

This reads: "An error has occurred: This action would increase the number of cells in the worksheet above the limit of 10000000 cells".

However, when I used one more digit, I got a different message:

row error

That one reads: "Oops, enter a number between 1 and 5000000", suggesting the maximum number of rows you can have is 5 million, while the max of cells can be up to 10 million. I'm not sure about the columns, but I'd say it is the as the row's limit.

Related