I am in the learning phase of Kubernetes and want to set up the CI/Cd pipeline for my project. I am using google cloud and have the following elements are ready
- 3 Node cluster is deployed on google cloud
- Github has been integrated with google cloud build to trigger the build.
- I am using
helmto maintain my K8s templates. cloudbuilld.yamlis developed to compile the docker image and push it to google container registry.
I am stuck at - Once my cloudbuild.yaml is done with building the docker image and pushed it to the registry, how do I use helm to upgrade the chart?
Here is my sample cloudbuild.yaml
steps:
- name: 'gcr.io/cloud-builders/docker'
args: ["build", "-t", "gcr.io/kubernetes-amit-test/github.com/0xvoila/apache/phoenix:$SHORT_SHA", "."]
- name: "gcr.io/cloud-builders/docker"
args: ["push", "gcr.io/kubernetes-amit-test/github.com/0xvoila/apache/phoenix:$SHORT_SHA"]
- name: "alpine/helm:latest". --- It is not working
args: ["helm","upgrade","mychart","image", "gcr.io/kubernetes-amit-test/github.com/0xvoila/apache/phoenix:$SHORT_SHA"]
My Question is
- How can I use helm to upgrade the latest charts.
- As I am new to Kubernetes, it is even the best practice for K8s deployment? Do people even use helm?