I am trying to get to grips with testing using the httptest.NewServer and I am hitting a roadblock.
In my code I am making a GET request to an external API and I want to write a test for this using httptest.NewServer.
Here is my code making the request (main.go):
package main
import (
"fmt"
"io"
"io/ioutil"
"log"
"net/http"
)
type HTTPClient interface {
Do(req *http.Request) (*http.Response, error)
}
type NewRequest interface {
NewRequest(method string, url string, body io.Reader) (*http.Request, error)
}
var (
Client HTTPClient
)
func init() {
Client = &http.Client{}
}
func main() {
url := "https://httpbin.org/get"
GetData(url)
}
func GetData(url string) (*http.Response, error) {
req, err := http.NewRequest(http.MethodGet, url, nil)
if err != nil {
log.Fatalln(err)
return nil, err
}
resp, err := Client.Do(req)
if err != nil {
log.Fatalln(err)
return nil, err
}
defer resp.Body.Close()
responseBody, err := ioutil.ReadAll(resp.Body)
if err != nil {
log.Fatal(err)
return nil, err
}
fmt.Println(resp.Status)
fmt.Println(string(responseBody))
return resp, nil
}
When I run this it works fine.
Here is my test file:
package main
import (
"fmt"
"io/ioutil"
"log"
"net/http"
"net/http/httptest"
"testing"
)
func TestYourHTTPGet(t *testing.T){
ts := httptest.NewServer(http.HandlerFunc(func(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
fmt.Fprintln(w, `response from the mock server goes here`)
}))
defer ts.Close()
mockServerURL := ts.URL
resp, err := GetData(mockServerURL)
if err != nil {
fmt.Println("Error 1: ", err)
}
defer resp.Body.Close()
responseBody, err := ioutil.ReadAll(resp.Body)
if err != nil {
log.Fatal("Error 2: ", err)
}
fmt.Println(resp.Status)
fmt.Println(string(responseBody))
}
When I run go test I receive the error: http: read on closed response body. If I remove defer resp.Body.Close() from main.go the test passes correctly.
I am not sure why this is happening and was hoping that someone could explain what is going on here?