I’ve had no luck so far with linking a Haskell library to a Rust project. I’ve had a lot of errors, the latest being the recompile with -fPIC for ghc.
I’ve managed to get a functional example of dynamically linking — but have been unable to get it linked statically.
Attaching my current setup right now:
build.rs
fn main() { println!("cargo:rustc-link-search=native=deps"); println!("cargo:rustc-link-lib=static=tesths"); }src/main.rs
extern "C" { pub fn addTwo(x: i32) -> i32; pub fn init(); pub fn fin(); } fn main() { println!("Hello, world!"); }src/haskell/Lib.hs
module Lib where import Foreign.C.Types addTwo :: CInt -> CInt addTwo = (2 + ) foreign export ccall addTwo :: CInt -> CIntcwrapper.c
#include <HsFFI.h> #ifdef __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ #include "Lib_stub.h" #endif #include <stdio.h> void init(void) { static char *argv[] = {"libhs.so", 0}, **argv_ = argv; static int argc = 1; hs_init(&argc, &argv_); } void fin(void) { hs_exit(); }
I compile #4 with ghc -c -static -lHSrts -lffi cwrapper.c, getting cwrapper.o. Similarly, I compile #3 with ghc -c -static -fPIC -lffi Lib.hs and get object code for that as well.
Once that is done, I go ahead and archive the two with ar rcs libtesths.a Lib.o cwrapper.o.
On cargo build:
note: /usr/bin/ld: deps/libtesths.a(Lib.o):(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `newCAF'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/libtesths.a(Lib.o):(.text+0x39): undefined reference to `stg_bh_upd_frame_info'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/libtesths.a(Lib.o):(.text+0x48): undefined reference to `base_ForeignziCziTypes_zdfNumCInt_closure'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/libtesths.a(Lib.o):(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to `stg_ap_p_info'
…
I’ve got a hunch that libHSrts isn’t being linked statically for some reason.
Update
I followed Shepmaster’s advice and successfully made a working example. But I’m having issues linking with my rust exec now.
I used stack with ghc-options: -staticlib -stubdir . and c-sources: cwrapper.c to build. When I try to build the rust project with cargo rustc — -C relocation-model=static:
/usr/bin/ld: deps/liba.a(Type.o): in function `integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwplusBigNatWord_info'
(.text.integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwplusBigNatWord_info+0x128): undefined reference to `__gmpn_add_1'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/liba.a(Type.o): in function
`integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwminusBigNatWord_info'
(.text.integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwminusBigNatWord_info+0xdf): undefined reference to `__gmpn_sub_1'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/liba.a(Type.o): in function `integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_complementInteger_info'
(.text.integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_complementInteger_info+0x138): undefined reference to `__gmpn_sub_1'
/usr/bin/ld: deps/liba.a(Type.o): in function `integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwtimesBigNatWord_info'
(.text.integerzmwiredzmin_GHCziIntegerziType_zdwtimesBigNatWord_info+0x158): undefined reference to `__gmpn_mul_1'
There is also mention of a wrappers.o. Any help is appreciated.
Update 2
I solved the gmp issues by setting build.rs to link libgmp as well. I have a different problem now, though.
note: /usr/bin/ld: deps/libhssource.a(Lib.o): in function `testFFI':
(.text+0x88fd): multiple definition of `testFFI'; deps/libhssource.a(Lib.o):(.text+0x1b66): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: deps/libhssource.a(cwrapper.o): in function `init':
cwrapper.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `init'; deps/libhssource.a(cwrapper.o):cwrapper.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: deps/libhssource.a(cwrapper.o): in function `fin':
cwrapper.c:(.text+0x20): multiple definition of `fin'; deps/libhssource.a(cwrapper.o):cwrapper.c:(.text+0x1a): first defined here
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Update 3
This the final build command that does the trick:
cargo rustc -- -C relocation-model=static -Clink-arg=-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition
Using RUSTFLAGS will cause the build to crash because it builds all the dependencies with a static relocation model, which won’t work — in my case — for the rustversion crate. It will report a recompile with -fPIC error.