Ok this example should clarify what I am looking for
set.seed(123456789)
df <- data.frame(
x1 = sample(c(0,1), size = 10, replace = TRUE),
x2 = sample(c(0,1), size = 10, replace = TRUE),
z1 = sample(c(0,1), size = 10, replace = TRUE)
)
I want to select all rows that have x1 and x2 =1. That is,
df[df$x1==1 & df$x2==1,]
which returns
x1 x2 z1
1 1 1 1
4 1 1 1
6 1 1 1
10 1 1 0
but I want to do it in a way that scales to many x variables (e.g. x1,x2,...x40), so I would like to index the columns by "x" rather than having to write df$x1==1 & df$x2==1 &... & df$x40==1. Note that I care about having the z1 variable in the resulting data set (i.e. while the rows are selected based on the x variables, I am not looking to select the x columns only). Is it possible?